This section contains resources and tips that will help you recruit, hire, train, evaluate, retain and terminate support staff. Some of the resources are not from New York state. The concepts are useful although you may not be familiar with some of the terms.
- Toolkit for People with Disabilities (pdf) ~ This toolkit is designed to provide easy-to-use tips and strategies to help you find, choose, and keep high quality Direct Support Professionals (DSP’s). ~ Thanks to University of Minnesota Research and Training Center on Community Living and University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Disability and Human Development, College of Applied Health Sciences.
- Community Recruitment Resources (doc) ~ Places to post job postings for free in the Rochester area. ~ Thanks to Heritage Christian Services.
- Self-Hire Community Support (doc) ~ An example of job description for part time staff. ~ Thanks to Heritage Christian Services.
- About Me (doc) ~ It’s a good idea to make sure that everyone is clear on expectations and that staff has useful information about the person being supported. This is an example of one family’s way of providing information to staff.
- Dailies (doc) ~ Here is a way to make sure that things get done each day.
It is really hard for people in direct care to see their power. They often see themselves as the least powerful person in the organization so they forget that they are often the most powerful person in the life of somebody with a disability.
- Dave Hingsburger